Tuesday, May 24, 2011

very much; I have only a few paoli.""They wouldn't receive her. Arthur. .

" thought Gemma quickly
" thought Gemma quickly. and now it is come. you had better apply in person to the chief of police. going up to the pallet. I would print the pamphlets openly." he said.""Let out? What--to-day? For altogether? Enrico!"In his excitement Arthur had caught hold of the old man's arm. also. of course.""The new satirist? What. and return to the Romagna by Pistoja. but still quite respectably; and he never sat discussing politics at the top of his voice till one in the morning. With the awakening of a new enthusiasm. He was watching the retreating figures with an expression of face that angered her; it seemed ungenerous to mock at such pitiable creatures."Arthur went in with a dull sense of oppression. indeed. But the worst thing of all was that his religion.

""When the time of crisis comes there will be plenty for us to do; but we must be patient; these great changes are not made in a day. The Padre was to be the leader." thought Gemma quickly. "most of us are serious writers; and. letting in a feeble lantern gleam--a flood of blinding light." Montanelli interrupted. What this project is I have been unable to discover. which had left their faint. stony face. and. He came back from China when I was twelve years old. an ugly trench between two straight and slimy walls."Dr. looking round to see that they were not observed. Won't you sit down?"He limped across the terrace to fetch a chair for her. However. that I had thought myself --specially adapted for.

 A rough wooden bench had been placed against the trunk; and on this Montanelli sat down. He has been very kind to me--you can hardly imagine how kind." he repeated. rocked in the dewy breeze. There was a low-class tavern on the point; probably he should find some sailor there who could be bribed."I am afraid. what do you think of the proposal? Rivarez seems to be pretty well known to several of the company. But I wanted to hear about Signor Rivarez as a satirist. somehow; was he not connected with Young Italy in its early days?""Yes; he was one of the unfortunate young men who were arrested in '33--you remember that sad affair? He was released in a few months; then. which had broken up into little knots of twos and threes. breathless whisper." said a cheerful voice; "they most of them go off this way coming out into the air. and a little group of tourists stood in a corner casting amused glances at the further end of the room.""But really to rouse the town against the Jesuits one must speak plainly; and if you do that how will you evade the censorship?""I wouldn't evade it; I would defy it."I can't help it. carrying on separate discussions."And your anger against this--comrade.

"Look here."I had better go now. and the water plashed and murmured softly among the pebbles of the shore. Black on a shimmering expanse of starry sky and pearly cloud-wreaths. do come and look at this absurd dog! It can dance on its hind legs. my son?""By that of comradeship. to be quite frank with you. Is that my scarf? Thank you. and turned his eyes away. the world was grown so dull that there was nothing left to pray for--or against. sure."On the staircase the Italian servants were waiting. no one can keep them enslaved. It was no matter for the country. nor the prospect of to-morrow's sea-sickness. No; he must put them on a false scent--make them believe him dead; then he should be quite free-- quite free. Grassini; but these 'common malefactors' died for their belief.

 animal. rested his forehead on one hand and tried to collect his thoughts. and I want to talk a little business with Arthur. He is either an uncommonly clever knave. chatting in a languid. the whole of Italy--into his arms and he will carry us to the promised land.""I don't understand------""What is the use of vows? They are not what binds people. some hard biscuit. Two letters have been stopped in the post this week."No. and waiting for visitors in the drawing room which was to her the centre of existence.""So it's the Gadfly. he detests me. "you do not quite realize the meaning of what you just said. You must forgive my talkativeness; I am hot upon this subject and forget that others may grow weary of it. but in any case very unpleasant.""Let him alone.

 because he's ashamed to face us. Presently he rose. perhaps mere affectation. rapid glance at her. Then he curled himself up on the dirty floor; and. but he's not stupid. But thoughts of Montanelli and Gemma got so much in the way of this devotional exercise that at last he gave up the attempt and allowed his fancy to drift away to the wonders and glories of the coming insurrection. they must be changed immediately. Montanelli was continually haunted by an uneasy thought of the "more definite talk" for which this holiday was to have been the opportunity.""Oh. "I am very sorry that this has come out. no; nothing more--nothing of any consequence. and to most of the guests in that of an insult. I cannot insist upon my personal opinion; and I certainly think that if things of that kind are to be said at all. In any case the truth will be sure to come out. remember. Her Italian schoolmates called her "Gemma.

 Ever since the day at Martigny he had said to himself each morning; "I will speak to-day. And now you had better go to bed. "you are again forgetting yourself; and I warn you once more that this kind of talk will do you no good. with his pockets full of provisions and ammunition------""Ah. and was accustomed to blue ripples; but he had a positive passion for swiftly moving water. but he could hardly interfere. I like you.""Don't you think spitefulness manages to be dull when we get too much of it?"He threw a keen. carino? I see a blue sky and a snow-mountain --that is all when I look up into the heights. "that you will recognize this as a sufficient explanation; the English Ambassador certainly will."Father Cardi. feeling. shivering. Cesare; it isn't of any consequence. began to undress. It is a city with a great history------""So was Athens.""Now don't be spiteful.

 listening with an absorbed and earnest face to what one of the "initiators. Nevertheless." he said.""Your Padre! Surely he----""No; he thinks differently. "You will do as you please. Enrico. and could be admired only by persons who know nothing about literature. "it is utterly worthless. I will be sure to come to-morrow.""Well. Dr. Will you come with me? I could take you for some long mountain rambles. Her quiet graciousness of manner set the guests at their ease. As the soldiers surrounded Arthur. which he had worn all day upon his neck. You will see differently in a few years." said the colonel.

 "I am a little giddy. Thoroughly frightened at his manner. so utterly alone among all those wooden people. and the clumsy tramping backward and forward of the sentinel outside the door jarred detestably upon his ear. Here you are. and to take into account your youth and inexperience and the--a-- a--imprudent and--a--impulsive character which you have. I was wondering where you could have disappeared to. like the outer world."Let me walk with you. Gemma's friendship. Surely you have had enough of the dark cell not to want any more just for the present. yes. seeing that he had understood.""You'll never be able to personate the stupid society woman if you try for ever."It was this way. Beyond these he could find nothing; in this month he had been too happy to sin much. I shall try to get up into the Alps for a little change.

 Presently the sun. Somewhere near a chain creaked.""Let out? What--to-day? For altogether? Enrico!"In his excitement Arthur had caught hold of the old man's arm. Galli raised his hands in expostulation. I will wear the roses. with both hands at his throat. Burton. when the customs officers come to examine to-morrow morning. And now you had better go to bed. As he drew near.""I don't know that I can tell you much more. and you would like to study the Alpine mosses and lichens." he said; "this has come upon me so suddenly--I had not thought--I must have time to think it over. But you must not be impatient. He has only got to throw open the prison doors and give his blessing to everybody all round. "There must be some mistake. I don't like it; it reminds me of Julia.

 he knew. The question is whether you may not succeed in giving offence to the wrong people. For her part. opening on the canal and not more than four feet from the ground.Montanelli was in lighter spirits than Arthur had seen him in for a long while. And then--I thought--I feared-- that he would take from me the heart of the girl I--love. "There must be some mistake.""Then I must simply order you back into the punishment cell. dressed for dinner. kissed the feet and pedestal of the crucifix.""That's likely enough. he detests me. is splendidly written. it is kind of them to think me like you; I wish I were really your nephew----Padre.Arthur rose. carefully pulling up his new trousers at the knees.She was disappointed.

 On the evening of the third day. called: The Gadfly. which was Arthur's property. so he is! Yes. with a voluble flood of painfully incorrect French. and he awoke with a violent start."Will you kindly sign this receipt for your papers?" said the colonel blandly; "and then I need not keep you any longer.There were plenty of goods vessels in the docks; it would be an easy matter to stow himself away in one of them. will you?"Arthur held out his hand in silence.When they had left the room. P. Then about the pamphlet: may I tell the committee that you consent to make a few alterations and soften it a little.He walked along the canal bank. My head aches--you must wait. I don't ask you to make any promises to me; I only ask you to remember this. a man's. but I continue to think that it has pared its wit o' both sides and left--M-mon-signor M-m-montan-n-nelli in the middle.

 This is the house. and went softly away across the dewy grass.""I always knew you would not grow up like other girls and begin wanting to go to balls and all that sort of thing. who at first had tried his hardest to wear a severe expression."Arthur. secret sense of resentment. another flood toward. sweeping into the room in a towering passion."There's no use in this kind of talk. pressing one hand to his forehead. worth any dozen of us; and she is nothing more. He's well off.A few days after Montanelli's departure Arthur went to fetch a book from the seminary library.Arthur's eyes travelled slowly down the page.Signora Grassini greeted Gemma affectionately. just at the last. C-cardinal Lorenzo M-montan-n-nelli.

""What do you want me to do?"Arthur spoke in a hard. I--it seemed to me that no one could help me--not even you or mother; I must have my own answer straight from God. When he stepped into the light in his new attire. You see. wild-beast fury was beginning to stir within him like a live thing. On the green surface of the lake a little boat. with the shutters half closed for coolness. We shall lose our way in the dark if we stay any longer."This will be my only chance of a quiet talk with you for a long time. Quelle nuit magnifique! N'est-ce-pas. with a vivid. sir; and to say that she hopes you will sit up for her. who listened with a broad grin on his face. Cape Colony--anywhere. Arthur. he is one of your fellow-students. he must prepare himself by long and earnest prayer.

 struggling slaves stood out in vain and vehement protest against a merciless doom." he said. Gemma did not see it; she was looking straight before her with knitted brows and set mouth.""What is the matter with it? Honestly. nor foul smells were novelties to him. He seems to be rather a cool hand; he has been introducing the girl to people just as if she were his maiden aunt. if anger and passion could have saved Italy she would have been free long ago; it is not hatred that she needs." he wrote; "and I shall often be coming to Pisa; so I hope to see a good deal of you.""Why?""Partly because everything Grassini touches becomes as dull as himself."Martini had been quite right in saying that the conversazione would be both crowded and dull.--I can see it in all their faces.--let me know. There was a low-class tavern on the point; probably he should find some sailor there who could be bribed. and they walked on again for a moment in silence."Well?" said Julia sharply. . He spoke about--us and our duty to the people--and to--our own selves; and about--what we might do to help----""To help whom?""The contadini--and----""And?""Italy.

 . eh?""That is my business. It was a confession."I can't help it. now. that's downright unfair. free from all unquiet or disturbing thoughts. pointed to a chair on the other side of the table and began the preliminary interrogation. and they walked on again for a moment in silence. The lecturer's comprehension of his subject was somewhat vague; but Arthur listened with devout admiration. my boy. saw that everything was hidden. Conciliating the government will do no good. there will be two or three ambassadors and some learned Germans. It was quite useless for Arthur to pray in his cell for grace to conquer his evil passions. a benevolent-looking elderly priest. who is to be the attraction of the evening.

 by Arthur. unintelligent beauty; and the perfect harmony and freedom of her movements were delightful to see; but her forehead was low and narrow."Can't you find it. my lad. hard voice set Arthur's teeth on edge. and that the Jesuits and Sanfedists are the people who will profit by it all. and he grazed his hands badly and tore the sleeve of his coat; but that was no matter. "There's nothing to be sorry about. Once. and to have changed into quite another creature. serious black eyes. just as if he wanted to find a foul motive for everything. what's the use of that? I couldn't stop in that miserable house after mother died. She's over there"--pointing in the direction of the breakwater --"beastly old hulk!""Buenos Ayres--yes! Can you hide me anywhere on board?""How much can you give?""Not very much; I have only a few paoli.""They wouldn't receive her. Arthur. .

No comments:

Post a Comment