Tuesday, May 10, 2011

playing for money or playing for some stakes.

Very
Very. He loves Franz Joseph.This isnt a deep dugout. I will probably marry Miss Barkley. and went through the trenches in the smasheddown town and along the edge of the slope.How is everythingSplendid.Bacchus. I looked back and saw the three cars all climbing. The major said he had heard a report that I could drink. said the captain. Or shot through the shoulder.I dont believe it. I said to the priest.What the hell.I was away for two days at the posts.

 Dont be a bloody hero. I handed it to Gordini. I remembered where I was going. It is very informative. Go on tell me. I looked in the door of the big room and saw the major sitting at his desk.Its very odd though.You were quite right.Priest every night five against one. You will be good to me.I knocked over his candle with the pillow and got into bed in the dark. I said.Yes. green and dark to the snow line and then white and lovely in the sun. I was riding in the first car and as we passed the entry to the British hospital I told the driver to stop.

I see. Im not. had some coffee in the kitchen and went out to the garage. After supper I would go and see Catherine Barkley. God. He recognized me and waved a forceps. The priest smiled and blushed and shook his head.Kiss me. The others listened. baby. went downstairs. They carried wounded in and brought them out. undid my tunic and tried to rip the tail of my shirt.And why didnt you marryI dont know. You were liable to arrest if you did not have one worn in plain sight.

 Ive seen your Tenente. Mr. The orderly brought a chair and he sat down.Good.No. I said. Next week the war starts again. I looked across the wire at the Austrian lines. Miss Barkley was in the garden. on the street. the lieutenant said. There was one fine cemetery thoughthe one at Pisa.Were you thereNo. tenente (first finger). Driving in convoy is not unpleasant if you are the first car and I settled back in the seat and watched the country.

Let me feel it. Passini said. I will probably marry Miss Barkley. to take a shower. I looked in the door of the big room and saw the major sitting at his desk.Whats the matterHe looked at me. But the little Scotch one is very nice. I went back and told the drivers I would get them as soon as the food came. The officers were not good but dull. It was very edifying. you have come back. After I was wounded I never found him. Well. One of the two men who had carried it looked in. He was a big smart tall boy to be in the granatieri.

Come on.I went back to the majors dugout and he said the field kitchen would be along and the drivers could come and get their stew. she said. Milan. I had treated seeing Catherine very lightly.We walked on a way and were stopped under a tree.It doesnt finish. A V. It was what I had wanted to do and I tried to explain how one thing had led to another and finally he saw it and understood that I had really wanted to go and it was almost all right.No. Sculpture had always seemed a dull businessstill. It came very fast and the sun went a dull yellow and then everything was gray and the sky was covered and the cloud came on down the mountain and suddenly we were in it and it was snow. said the priest. I said and went back to the house and drank another bowl of coffee at the mess table.You think notNo.

 Signor Tenente. Priest never with girls. I breathed and I was back. I said. I am an atheist. We were supposed to wear steel helmets even in Gorizia but they were uncomfortable and too bloody theatrical in a town where the civilian inhabitants had not been evacuated. Driving in convoy is not unpleasant if you are the first car and I settled back in the seat and watched the country.It is probably to draw attention from where the real attack will be.Here. it seemed. brought by Gordini who looked very white and sick. Manera said he hoped it would come before the bombardment started. I know all about it now. I felt it against the back of the chair. Wait till I get cleaned up.

Not reallyNever.We sat down on a bench and I looked at her. and instead of going on I felt myself slide back. I said. They come back for me. though. You rarely find any one any good this close to the front. Fillipo Vincenza Bassi or Bassi Fillippo Vicenza had never touched a drop all evening and what was his name anyway He said was my name Frederico Enrico or Enrico Federico I said let the best man win. I said. the fighting in the mountains beyond the town. You will please come and make me a good impression on her. loosely packed cigarettes that spilled tobacco and needed to have the ends twisted before you smoked them. He said there was so much dirt blown into the wound that there had not been much hemorrhage. The dead were off to one side.A sergeant shot two officers who would not get out.

 that the office opened on. There was an English there. It was what I had wanted to do and I tried to explain how one thing had led to another and finally he saw it and understood that I had really wanted to go and it was almost all right. He paused and thought. It tasted of rusty metal. Poor dear baby. went to call on Miss Barkley.They talked too much at the mess and I drank wine because tonight we were not all brothers unless I drank a little and talked with the priest about Archbishop Ireland who was. Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees. lieutenant We wont get a chance to eat after this thing starts.The adjutant. But they are still fools. Then the stretcher bearers took the man off the table. You could not tell anything about them.I went out the door and suddenly I felt lonely and empty.

 Every one laughed. Im sorry for your head. Ive seen you about. But I thought it would be bad for him. Perhaps it start again.Were you there. wont youWhat the hell. The door was open. said Passini and spat on the floor. He spread the hand again.I see. He drank a half tumbler of cognac. It was that which shook my faith. Ireland of Wisconsin. He started the car.

 Its much cooler. We in the auto ambulance cannot even realize at all how bad it is. and if the car went especially fast it was probably the King. wont youWhat the hell.Yes. The others listened.No. Passing where the shells had landed I avoided the small broken places and smelled the high explosive and the smell of blasted clay and stone and freshly shattered flint. A regiment went by in the road and I watched them pass.I know how you talk.You better wait until the shelling is over. keeping to the side.If you drop me again. chilblains. I said.

 This took place at B?ziers. The posts for the cars would have to be as near the river as they could get and keep covered. Everybody is proud of you. One of the two men who had carried it looked in. Genoa was the place to see the bad marbles.Lets drop the war. We are mechanics.I do not believe it. that looked chalky white and furrowed. They would take me as soon as possible.We were off the driveway. in Milan. Signor Tenente. Did you have any beautiful adventuresYes. I forget exactly what they were.

I took off my tunic and shirt and washed in the cold water in the basin. We went on and passed the regiment about a mile ahead. Lacerations of the scalp (he probed Does that hurt Christ. he said. yes ) with possible fracture of the skull.No. The dressing station was on the Austrian side of the river under the edge of the hill and stretcherbearers would bring the wounded back across the pontoon bridge.The priest smiled. It would be the same when the offensive started.I wish there was some place we could go. He saw us and smiled. We drank the second grappa.Ill bring it to you.How do you do I said.I dried my hands and took out my pocketbook from the inside of my tunic hanging on the wall.

 You only pretend to be American. Porta feriti I tried to get closer to Passini to try to put a tourniquet on the legs but I could not move.Have you ever loved any oneNo. Another burst and in the noise you could hear the smaller noise of the brick and dirt raining down. wop. You could stay with my family.They are brave and have good discipline. It was Passini and when I touched him he screamed. baby. Rinaldi took the note. Goodby. unbuttoned the shirt collar and dropped him in under the shirt. At the foot of the bed was my flat trunk. He came in very fast and bent down over the bed and kissed me. Goodnight.

 she said.Somebody said you should be able to learn it in two weeks. You will come with me to see Miss Barkley. I wanted to go to the Hartz Mountains.Youre the American in the Italian army she asked. The drivers were pleased with it and I left them there. Are you badly hitIn the leg. the line of ties and rails running along it. I could have given him that anyway. Jt was warm and like the spring and I walked down the alleyway of trees. It did not have anything to do with me.It was a ghastly show.Dont bring Caruso. He said it was true and by the corpse of Bacchus we would test whether it was true or not. Its only the ambulance.

 the major said.All right. I said. then from all the guns behind us the bombardment started. The gravel paths were moist and the grass was wet with dew. The only son of the American Ambassador. felt him climb up into the front seat. he said.Like the Tchecos. I had imagined that the condition of the cars. darling. He is the legitimate son of President Wilson.It could not be worse.Yes. I said.

 The Saint Anthony was in a little white metal capsule. We have to just walk here. lit it and went on reading. This chap of yours was very anxious for me to see you. he said. It was a long time since I had written to the States and I knew I should write but I had let it go so long that it was almost impossible to write now. I am just more affectionate.I have one.That was because it was first. But its a rotten game.No understand. Five stars. Passini was dead. When he stopped swishing and fell asleep they came down and I blew them away and finally covered my face with my hands and slept too. Like bridge you had to pretend you were playing for money or playing for some stakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment