Tuesday, May 10, 2011

and quiet I forget you are suffering. I said.

 darling
 darling.Do you like itVery much. Miss Barkley prefers you to me. he said.They were all eating.I know it is bad but we must finish it. People cant realize what France is like. Then we saw a horse ambulance stopped by the road. I said. in which you said things instead of playing cards. They lifted me and the blanket flap went across my face as we went out. But if you have had it you know. looking up from the paper.

 dropping them in a basin. I wish she were here now. I felt it against the back of the chair. Thats over for the evening. I am well.Sit down. Rinaldi said. a noise like a railway engine starting and then an explosion that shook the earth again.This is a rotten game we play.The priest was young and blushed easily and wore a uniform like the rest of us but with a cross in dark red velvet above the left breast pocket of his gray tunic. father. I asked what time the attack was to he and they said as soon as it was dark. Bacchus barred.

 she said. higher snow mountains. Rinaldi saluted. The major was at the telephone sitting on a box. You see the point.Ill be right here. Tell me exactly what happened.Leave him alone. stirred by the breeze. lieutenant! he shouted. said Passini. all this in a moment. Rinaldi said that the French had mutinied and troops marched on Paris.

 I had gone to no place where the roads were frozen and hard as iron.Is there anything I can do. lieutenant! he shouted. one of the other captains said. and the strange excitement of waking and not knowing who it was with you. I wanted to go to the Black Forest. the pillars with the marble busts. Her hand had hit my nose and eyes. I told them what I had heard. the smooth functioning of the business of removing wounded and sick from the dressing stations.They talked too much at the mess and I drank wine because tonight we were not all brothers unless I drank a little and talked with the priest about Archbishop Ireland who was. But then he wanted to go to war and I didnt know. blunt-nosed ambulances.

 The mountain that was beyond the valley and the hillside where the chestnut forest grew was captured and there were victories beyond the plain on the plateau to the south and we crossed the river in August and lived in a house in Gorizia that had a fountain and many thick shady trees in a walled garden and a wistaria vine purple on the side of the house.You have beautiful hair. They lifted me onto the table. a noble man and with whose injustice. said Passini and spat on the floor. And come to morrow night. Then he was quiet.There are no forks. I was still angry and as I held her suddenly she shivered. yes. I thought she was very beautiful and I took her hand. It was Passini and when I touched him he screamed. Im learning it.

 They splashed more mud than the camions even and if one of the officers in the back was very small and sitting between two generals.I dont believe it. There are some people who never realize. I sat in the high seat of the Fiat and thought about nothing. How is your headGood Christ I said. walking carefully in the slush. There were stretchers lifted and slid into the slings above. didnt youYes.I did not. It might be good though.I have to get washed and report. But the Italians had crossed and spread out a little way on the far side to hold about a mile and a half on the Austrian side of the river.Bassi wins.

 I felt something dripping.Goodnight. It was all right with me. He laughed.Has there been any trouble getting parts I asked the sergeant mechanic.I took out my knife. She came back from wherever she had been. chilblains. When he stopped swishing and fell asleep they came down and I blew them away and finally covered my face with my hands and slept too.You will.As you wish. Then I floated. I could pull backward along with my arms and elbows.

Oh.You wouldnt want to go in the line all the time. and went in under the shed and looked at each of the cars.Four for 105. Thats what its for.Have you ever loved any oneNo.Look at the bump. No. He breathed very heavily.Outside something was set down beside the entrance. You know. This machine is no good but the others march. and I spoke Italian.

All right.I thought it over. baby. They say so.And youll be backTo morrow. and the argument went on.You dont need to say a lot of nonsense. They all ask for you.65 caliber with a short barrel and it jumped so sharply when you let it off that there was no question of hitting anything.No. and his hair shone.That road will be a dirty mess. yes.

Go to hell. She let me take it and I held it and put my arm around under her arm. Fillipo Vincenza Bassi or Bassi Fillippo Vicenza had never touched a drop all evening and what was his name anyway He said was my name Frederico Enrico or Enrico Federico I said let the best man win.But Scotland is England. They would. I thought perhaps he couldnt stand it and then of course he was killed and that was the end of it. Passini was dead. Rinaldi said. Is there anything youd like to talk aboutBut I do love you.I looked outside. I asked him what happened and he said.No. There were many strong smells.

Also they make money out of it.How is everythingSplendid. You have a good time The others all grinned too. I said. Inside there was a light. This machine is no good but the others march.We walked on a way and were stopped under a tree. Please put your hand there again. havent youBut I lost the truss.Of course they dont. My knee wasnt there.When you come back bring a phonograph. The sun was going down and looking up along the bank as we drove I saw the Austrian observation balloons above the hills on the other side dark against the sunset.

 sucking in the ends. the major said. He has a rendezvous. He was going to marry me and he was killed in the Somme. That is why we have this war. Laugh. And you play it as well as you know how. a noise like a railway engine starting and then an explosion that shook the earth again. the window open and the sunlight coming into the room. Jt was warm and like the spring and I walked down the alleyway of trees. Somebody was singing. I myself felt as badly as he did and could not understand why I had not gone.Id really rather.

I think you do not know anything about being conquered and so you think it is not bad.I have one. He was a tall man and wore steel rimmed spectacles.Thats what the priest said. You are my great and good friend and financial protector. holding their chins close over the basin. He offered me a glass of cognac. After a while the English ambulance came up and they put me onto a stretcher and lifted the stretcher up to the ambulance level and shoved it in. The cars would be all right with their good metaltometal brakes and anyway.Youre a nice boy. He stopped working and smiled. Helen. I said to the priest.

 There was what was left of a railway station and a smashed permanent bridge that could not be repaired and used because it was in plain sight.This is a rotten game we play. Ive seen the holes.Thats nothing.It is very valuable. A mass loosened.All right. Stretcher bearers came in all the time. But then he wanted to go to war and I didnt know. Three others were up in the mountains at dressing stations. isnt itWhat gameDont be dull. how do you feel Where is that damn corkscrew You are so brave and quiet I forget you are suffering. I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment