Tuesday, May 10, 2011

the captain said. Goodnight. I knew.

 he said
 he said. wore his black boots.I felt it. That is very clear. the orderly said. Alpini would.I dont think it will hurt you. I say he bellows!I would like you to go to Abruzzi. If they did. The stream kept on.You will. I said. We drank rum and it was very friendly.

 The trunks of the trees too were dusty and the leaves fell early that year and we saw the troops marching along the road and the dust rising and leaves. They were hospitals beyond the river. The men were hot and sweating. A. I only write about what a beautiful place we live in and how brave the Italians are. Genoa was the place to see the bad marbles.And you dont have to say you love me. she said. They were very nice and we had a big evening. With a girl it is painful. mama Mia I pulled and twisted and got my legs loose finally and turned around and touched him. There were racks of rockets standing to be touched off to call for help from the artillery or to signal with if the telephone wires were cut. The afternoon was a quiet time.

You are sweet.Abbastanza bene.Quite well. Then I forgot about him. gentlemen. They lined them up afterward and took every tenth man. He saw us and smiled. There was nothing to write about. Poor dear baby. There is good hunting.She looked at me. I wish that I was with the British. We drank rum and it was very friendly.

The room I shared with the lieutenant Rinaldi looked out on the courtyard. I kissed her hard and held her tight and tried to open her lips; they were closed tight. The river ran behind us and the town had been captured very handsomely but the mountains beyond it could not be taken and I was very glad the Austrians seemed to want to come back to the town some time.Im so sorry. The door was open.He should have fine girls. There was that beginning of a feeling of dryness in the nose that meant the day would be hot later on. shes very nice. The officers all wore helmets; betterfitting helmets.The Germans too. I took another mouthful and some cheese and a rinse of wine. They were moderately clean. Helen Ferguson.

 Here now we have beautiful girls. Why did you join up with the ItaliansI was in Italy. The others listened. fat and prosperous and Vittorio Emmanuele. Goodby. What made it pretty was that it sounded like Island.Do you always know what people thinkNot always.He cant do anything about it anyway. and the strange excitement of waking and not knowing who it was with you. Isnt itWhat is the stick I asked. We drove slowly in this matting covered tunnel and came out onto a bare cleared space where the railway station had been.The day had been hot. I remember having a silly idea he might come to the hospital where I was.

 I should drink cup for cup and glass for glass with Bassi.That way youll be decorated. We are brothers and we love each other. Every day I am better. He can handle the English. In the bed of the river there were pebbles and boulders.Maybe girls dont want to go to the front any more. The priest smiled and blushed and shook his head. bulged forward under the capes so that the men. This was better than going every evening to the house for officers where the girls climbed all over you and put your cap on backward as a sign of affection between their trips upstairs with brother officers. When we were out on the gravel drive she said.Here. a noise like a railway engine starting and then an explosion that shook the earth again.

Arent you a nurseOh. There were mists over the river and clouds on the mountain and the trucks splashed mud on the road and the troops were muddy and wet in their capes their rifles were wet and under their capes the two leather cartridge-boxes on the front of the belts. He stopped working and smiled. He was goodlooking. and a few more houses had been hit by shell fire.Why notThey dont trust us when theres nothing going on.Do you think it would be any good to try and see her tomorrowYes. on the street.I am happy. Thank you. Now the fighting was in the next mountains beyond and was not a mile away. This took place at B?ziers. He breathed very heavily.

 Im not. the old bridge where the railway crossed to the other side and across. instead there is a war. You havent any fracture. He ought to be able to do something.Another night. Thats where the money comes from. bronzes looked like something. You may come and see her after seven oclock if you wish. I said.Lets drop it anyway.You have that pleasant air of a dog in heat. said the lieutenant.

 and tears came in my eyes from the reflex. I said. I drove back to Gorizia and our villa and.Kiss me.He does really. They were big and shy and embarrassed and very appreciative together of anything that happened.No. It was quiet. It was there that the offensive was to begin. far below.Yes. I like him.Ill leave you two.

 fast and shallow. Perhaps we should have a drink.Did you ever read the Black Pig asked the lieutenant.He took off his gloves. go to hell. That is true. Are you coming to nightNo. and one day at the end of the fall when I was out where the oak forest had been I saw a cloud coming over the mountain.Has there been any trouble getting parts I asked the sergeant mechanic.Yes.It starts now. said the priest.Certainly not.

 As soon as I get the papers on these wounded Ill take you along the road and drop you with your medical officers. Her hand had hit my nose and eyes.Ill take the American Tenente. get me out of here. if the war should end.Why didnt we see the post when we came down Passini asked.Im not drunk. is a short cut. I must go. clear red. You mustnt take everything so literally. Inside I saw the head nurse. and the world all unreal in the dark and so exciting that you must resume again unknowing and not caring in the night.

 I got a rupture. I learn how to do it. The orderly brought a chair and he sat down. were on the trunk. When he stopped swishing and fell asleep they came down and I blew them away and finally covered my face with my hands and slept too. Im not. There was a little shelter of green branches outside over the entrance and in the dark the night wind rustled the leaves dried by the sun. But then he wanted to go to war and I didnt know. Then. The outlines of the cypresses that lined it were sharp and clear. It was a hot day and the sky was very bright and blue and the road was white and dusty. Manera said. tenente (first finger).

 I feigned acquaintance.Its better to wear him. the lieutenant said. I said. Uninformed.One of those shot by the carabinieri is from my town. he said. Some of the wounded were noisy but most were quiet. Some one was coming down the hallway. You get out and fall down by the road and get a bump on your head and Ill pick you up on our way back and take you to a hospital.Poor Rinaldi. Fillipo Vincenza Bassi or Bassi Fillippo Vicenza had never touched a drop all evening and what was his name anyway He said was my name Frederico Enrico or Enrico Federico I said let the best man win.Do we eat yet.

 Why did you do itI dont know. The others were shouting. Youve been away a long time.Are you unwoundedWe are both wounded a little. It ought to be good.As the ambulance climbed along the road.That doesnt matter. Always with the girls. There was another stretcher by the side with a man on it whose nose I could see. The coffee was a pale gray and sweet with condensed milk. the captain said. Goodnight. I knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment