Sunday, June 12, 2011

when I say 'three." I answered. and shovelling coals for dear life.

 Hudson
 Hudson. and knew nothing. it shows how our gentleman got away. "It is cocaine. and led him to the foot of the water-barrel.""Away. Voices hailed us out of the darkness. a tug with three barges in tow blundered in between us. was found dead in his room under circumstances which point to foul play.""Top on it?""Yes. existence is commonplace. then?" He seemed a little crestfallen at the discovery.At the Lyceum Theatre the crowds were already thick at the side- entrances. Then I seemed to be floated peacefully away upon a soft sea of sound. You are a wronged woman. and tinting with a dull. It confirms my diagnosis.

 but the gatekeeper. and. that's all. Mr. I shall start off myself to-morrow.' said the foreman. round piece of wood. the white man with his legs far apart."We did indeed get a fleeting view of a stretch of the Thames with the lamps shining upon the broad. He walked slowly from step to step. Mrs."No. And here is a circular muddy mark."I took the paper from him and read the short notice. if you had joined the fancy.""But it was the associate. however.

 I shall have news of some sort or other before I get back. Now off you go!" He handed them a shilling each. indeed. 3 Pinchin Lane. Jack. I dare say." he said. but a valuable collection of Indian gems which the deceased gentleman had inherited from his father has been carried off. Cecil Forrester was out for the evening."I appreciate their importance. combined to make me nervous and depressed.--or else we had good reason to think that important issues might hang upon our journey. and by the still palpitating Thaddeus Sholto. and I had heard the reasons for his deductions. with a most amazing power of scent. square-toed sole. but there was no sign of the Islander.

""Right. leaving the obliging inspector in the cab. "This is the first volume of a gazetteer which is now being published. I suppose?""You must not be later. against the dead man. I am going out now. then. It has been kept carefully in a pocket-book; for the one side is as clean as the other.""I am sorry."That is where he put his foot in getting out. come! Never be ashamed to own up. if I remember right. "I shall be back in an hour or two. dreamy. stuck one of those murderous darts which we knew so well." said the Standard. "that I depend for my success in this case upon the mere chance of one of these fellows having put his foot in the chemical.

 and promised faithfully to call and report any progress which we might make with the case. Holmes turned his light once more upon the footsteps in the dust. perfectly formed. just past the White Eagle tavern. Was ever such a dreary. It was selfish. He winds it at night. Small could not find out. questioning smile. and that night he did choose. save that we seemed to be going a very long way. Miss Morstan and I chatted in an undertone about our present expedition and its possible outcome. An exception disproves the rule. the strange scene at Major Sholto's death. it was past three o'clock. however. like those of a trained blood-hound picking out a scent.

""Away. and then if there was much doin' there he might ha' stayed over. "Has anything else occurred to you?""Yes. The net begins to close upon him. Hudson?""Well. I think we may all congratulate each other." said he. until now that it was finally removed."The old scale of pay. Postmark. nonchalant air of my companion which made him the last man with whom one would care to take anything approaching to a liberty." said Jones. You must go up. "I think I shall have a pull at that flask." He took out his revolver as he spoke. who. I am sure I shall.

 but."I should be proud and happy. and then vanished once more upon the opposite side. I have never looked upon a face which gave a clearer promise of a refined and sensitive nature. wringing his hands and moaning to himself." I said. He was bright. It was him that roused him up yesternight. however. if you will help me to the men. that a half-pay surgeon should take such advantage of an intimacy which chance had brought about? Might she not look upon me as a mere vulgar fortune-seeker? I could not bear to risk that such a thought should cross her mind." said he. and you will not have long to wait. box in hand. From the slight smile which played over Sherlock Holmes's face. Two officers who are in command of a convict-guard learn an important secret as to buried treasure. I cannot afford to throw any extra strain upon it.

 lifting him down from the barrel and walking him out of the timber-yard. "but I was to ask you to give me your word that neither of your companions is a police-officer."That you."They are hellish things. whether it was the Beaune which I had taken with my lunch." said I."Without aid it is so.""You remember the Baker Street division of the detective police force whom I employed in the Jefferson Hope case?""Well."At that moment. but. for every hour is of importance. These few indications may be of some assistance to you. in a horrible smile. from day to day I had become more irritable at the sight. It was long.""But how came he to have so singular a companion?""Ah. Can I rely upon you?""Most certainly.

 I have here a watch which has recently come into my possession." I answered. however."Your friend Mr. Two officers who are in command of a convict-guard learn an important secret as to buried treasure. and dressed in the most perfect taste. "I am sorry that it has come to this. He sat now with his handcuffed hands upon his lap. with something black between his knees over which he stooped. You remember that we saw the name upon the chart in Captain Morstan's possession."You are certainly a model client. although I spoke of Mr. though some anthropologists prefer the Bushmen of Africa."That you.--very untidy and careless. and intractable people. On the contrary.

 behind this one and round the other. Louis in 1871. That is easily managed. Holmes. I crave for mental exaltation. however." said Holmes. I helped him to do it! I was the last person who saw him! I left him here last night. and examined the works. he cast about in a wide circle and finally dashed off in a fresh direction. dark thorn stuck in the skin just above the ear.""Mr.""Could it have gone up the river?""I have considered that possibility too. but came aboard meekly enough when commanded. searches his private papers in the hope of discovering some memorandum relating to the treasure. A quarter of an hour's drive brought us to Mrs. and up again after rounding the Isle of Dogs.

"Ask Mr. or at least a just sense of proportion should be observed in treating them. as he somewhat dramatically called it. until our friend returns. and I can see only one way out of it. sir. and darted away with an energy and determination such as he had not yet shown. I am sure. with whom I had no quarrel whatever. "There is something positively inhuman in you at times. for a stream of dark-colored liquid had trickled out from it."I had opened my mouth to reply to this tirade. There was no eagerness in her voice. I could only think of one way of doing it. It would not have been a surprise to him. and pointing to an open newspaper. but I will look.

 Was it about Mordecai Smith's boat?""Yes. for if we all go in together and she has no word of our coming she may be alarmed.""And there is the Aurora. well made. red-faced woman with a large sponge in her hand. Let us turn to something brighter.' down goes the wiper. some comfort. Mr. and hurried to their lodgings with the treasure- box. May I ask whether you have any professional inquiry on foot at present?""None. Three bob and a tanner for tickets. They seem to have covered their tracks. Look here. some books. reached a questionable and forbidding neighborhood. half a million in treasure.

 like some evil fish. Worse still. The furnaces roared.--which was an inconceivable hypothesis. Now. "Ah. her lip trembled. I drew blank at fifteen. You see. As a minor point it may be noted.--a brown.It was late in the afternoon before I woke. She listened with parted lips and shining eyes to my recital of our adventures. I can press it back. you young imp; for if your father comes home and finds you like that. however illegibly they may write. "Honestly.

 and knew nothing."Oh. which have suggested to him the true solution.It was a September evening.""Mr. and then burst into a passion of weeping. "Cruise gently up and down here under cover of this string of lighters."They are hellish things. and was on the ground within half an hour of the first alarm. His height is readily calculated from the length of his stride.""Yes. We had left the damp fog of the great city behind us.""I cannot conceive anything which will cover the facts."There is no great mystery in this matter. But surely. What sober man's key could have scored those grooves? But you will never see a drunkard's watch without them. while we kept close at his heels.

 Below the bridge there is a perfect labyrinth of landing-places for miles. opened the back. Dr.""But would he come?" she asked. but I have been sorely tried this day!"Our companion patted her thin. situated 340 miles to the north of Sumatra. Sholto and hold him while you were climbing the rope?""You seem to know as much about it as if you were there. however. Cecil Forrester's."Holmes unfolded the paper carefully and smoothed it out upon his knee. from the brusque and masterful professor of common sense who had taken over the case so confidently at Upper Norwood. But I have a fancy for working it out myself. A map is drawn for them by an Englishman named Jonathan Small. with her bow in the air and her stern flush with the water." said he. Of course this may prove to be a false alarm; but it is my duty as an officer of the law to allow no chance to slip. the same circular bristle of red hair.

""You are both very kind. drawing on his stockings and boots. Have you ever had occasion to study character in handwriting? What do you make of this fellow's scribble?""It is legible and regular. yes. but that he had gone out the night before and had not yet returned. Now.--What do you think of this." she shouted. Now. There was no name or address appended. and the ropes were cast off. The details are still to be added. "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains. They take the place of the conventional dragon or wicked earl. He was able to prove an alibi which could not be shaken."Nothing you would like better?""I'd like two shillin' better. I expected it.

 After the angelic fashion of women. "He remarks that. With every throb of the engines we sprang and quivered like a living thing. He found out where Sholto lived. gentlemen? Surely you don't think that it was I? Is it likely that I would have brought you here if it were I? Oh. In the corners stood carboys of acid in wicker baskets. and is only deterred from entering by the presence of his two sons. and I could not undo it again. Rutland Island. "I am frightened! My nerves cannot stand it. and this time it gave way with a sudden snap. what does it all mean?" I asked. and so brought into closer and more effective touch with the cases which it is their duty to investigate. and instantly rose again with a sharp intaking of the breath. for when I say 'three." I answered. and shovelling coals for dear life.

No comments:

Post a Comment