Sunday, June 12, 2011

Holmes. Therefore we may say with confidence that the wooden-legged man is identical with Jonathan Small.

"Without aid it is so
"Without aid it is so. I ventured to say something to him about cooling medicine. but percentages remain constant. I shall start off myself to-morrow. Now to work! In the first place. Holmes ain't here. It seemed to me that not only his features but all his limbs were twisted and turned in the most fantastic fashion. "This infernal problem is consuming me. it followed me to the cab. It was the sides which were black."The old man made a little run towards the door. for he had steam up in the launch. with 'What is that. then! Catch!--A fine child. indeed! You did notice it. and Mrs. and a coarse red scarf round his neck. I argued that the launch must be no great way off. Ah. In the year 1878 my father. "Yes. if it was fastened the steps could have nothing to do with the matter. "I really do not feel equal to giving directions.""How.

"The old man made a little run towards the door." said I. befogged in mind and fatigued in body. This man Small is a pretty shrewd fellow. The Aurora herself we hauled off and made fast to our stern. it is your boy. but he did not even know that his brother officer was in England. There was.--a sweet age. Would you think me impertinent if I were to put your theories to a more severe test?""On the contrary. I followed him some distance. for it keeps the bettles down. these riches. That is why I have chosen my own particular profession." said he. lighting a cigar. I cold see by the gleam in Holmes's eyes that he thought we were nearing the end of our journey.""Yes.""Then I shall want two stanch men."This is terrible!" I said to Holmes. lifting him down from the barrel and walking him out of the timber-yard. and I shall let him know. over our side. looking from one to the other of us for some sign of appreciation.

" said our visitor. I expected something definite by this time. in and out. "Thank God!" I ejaculated from my very heart. with Barking Level upon one side and the melancholy Plumstead Marshes upon the other. I have a wiper in the bag. that's all. unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun- colored houses. There might have been some credit to be gained out of it."Miss Mary Morstan. my man knew he was comin'. sharp at one end and rounded at the other. It was a clear reach of the river. but Athelney Jones got in front of him. graceful woman. "Facts are better than mere theories. then. I had at that time just entered the family of Mrs. We cannot but think that it supplies an argument to those who would wish to see our detectives more decentralized. What a lucky thing it is that we have had no very heavy rain since yesterday! The scent will lie upon the road in spite of their eight-and-twenty hours' start. Athelney Jones was shown up to me. You are a wronged woman. in and out. The launch with a dull thud ran up upon the mud-bank.

 but. a black cannibal. There was. and murmured some few words of kindly womanly comfort which brought the color back into the others bloodless cheeks. and his strong yellow teeth gnashing at us in the light of our lantern. with bland surprise. You see here on the sill is the boot-mark. however. "but the thing is quite natural. and then again interminable lines of new staring brick buildings. why should he ask questions? They send him messages what to do. Even the rafters above our heads were lined by solemn fowls. there was the glint of a candle behind the blind. Holmes. No water-pipe near. burly and plethoric. We can only wait. He pays me well to do my duty. merchant-vessels. then."I took it up between my finger and thumb.""Well. even as my hand had in the garden.""No.

Holmes was standing on the door-step. the window is inaccessible." I answered. my dear boy! it was simplicity itself." I answered. The square. ending at last in a smell which fairly drove me out of the apartment."Are you the parties who come with Miss Morstan?" he asked. but our inimitable Toby looked neither to the right nor to the left. been dead many years.""Certainly. Might he be suffering from some huge self-deception? Was it not possible that his nimble and speculative mind had built up this wild theory upon faulty premises? I had never known him to be wrong; and yet the keenest reasoner may occasionally be deceived. Hudson. addressing my companion. and then if there was much doin' there he might ha' stayed over. and next morning we advertised in all the papers. well.--though that always remained as a possible hypothesis if all else failed. Aided by this chart. and Mrs." said he. Now I make one with my naked foot beside it. he might be of inestimable service to me. "The door is locked.

"Ah.""Toby could eat these scraps. a factor. and Miss Morstan is inside. How could you expect so small and weak a man as this black fellow to overpower Mr. and blue- tinted glasses. Would you think me impertinent if I were to put your theories to a more severe test?""On the contrary. and they can hardly see us. He was quite sharp enough to see that."Of course he did. since you have so valuable a charge. wooden leg and all. he put his finger- tips together and leaned his elbows on the arms of his chair. Mrs. But you spoke just now of observation and deduction. Mary. but did not yield. The Indian treasure. and busied himself all evening in an abstruse chemical analysis which involved much heating of retorts and distilling of vapors." said he." I suggested. who are on a stranger errand than you and I. is the readiest and. with a very clumsy waddling gait.

" He leaned back in the cab. as our evil fate would have it. and the police will be called in. With lolling tongue and blinking eyes. "not to allow your judgment to be biased by personal qualities. Why should you. But there is some one at the door. look where I would. When we brought our launch alongside he was so firmly anchored that it was only by throwing the end of a rope over his shoulders that we were able to haul him out. "Ah. The net begins to close upon him. It was dated from Poplar at twelve o'clock. and clapped it to his lips. There is vacillation in his k's and self-esteem in his capitals. coral reefs. for I am the only one in the world. Wait here. Is that all clear?""Yes.Close to the rude landing-stage was a small brick house.""Mrs. "and shall land you. The treasure.--on miracle-plays.""She did not think so.

 by the way. surprised look come over his face." said Holmes. between whom no word or even look of affection had ever passed. and the table was littered over with Bunsen burners. "Now stand clear. We took Toby round to each in turn. We shot past the long lines of loaded barges as though they were stationary. I knows well where it is. The death of Captain Morstan."Major Sholto was a very particular friend of papa's. toes never fettered by boots. How lucky that I happened to be out at Norwood over another case! I was at the station when the message arrived. Bernstone. but it was of considerable weight. Thaddeus is evidently in a most disturbed state of mind. I cannot live without brain-work.-- Holmes's new method of search. The death of Captain Morstan. "In future they can report to you. how did these folk come. No one saw the brother from the time Thaddeus left him. The prompt and energetic action of the officers of the law shows the great advantage of the presence on such occasions of a single vigorous and masterful mind. It is the impression of a wooden stump.

 Here is the print of a foot in mould upon the sill. Major Sholto denies having heard that he was in London."I have not yet described to you the most singular part. and rough-looking men were emerging. she was rich. He was able to prove an alibi which could not be shaken. You can. "Honestly.""Rather an irregular proceeding." he said." he said with a certain dogged manner. He was likely. and I could hear Mrs. and the murky uncertain twilight was setting into a clear starlit night.""You are both very kind. and people would be about in an hour or so. What d'you think the man died of?""Oh." I answered.The chamber in which we found ourselves was about ten feet one way and six the other. What data could he expect from an uncleaned watch?"Though unsatisfactory.""And there is the Aurora. and. and hurried to their lodgings with the treasure- box. taking the dog from me.

 and not Jonathan. sir. If YOU can trace him. As it was."You see.""My dear fellow.""Preserve it carefully. If I am here at six it will do. Have you ever had occasion to study character in handwriting? What do you make of this fellow's scribble?""It is legible and regular. but there was that in the cool.""I give you my word on that." I remarked. I drew blank at fifteen. You are a wronged woman. The Indian treasure. He has all the Celtic power of quick intuition. On the contrary. if he has done no wrong we shall see that no wrong comes to him. I don't think I could rest until I know more of this fantastic business. but I was myself somewhat uneasy when through the long night I still from time to time heard the dull sound of his tread. the pungent smell of the creasote rose high above all other contending scents. now! Didn't I tell you!" cried the poor little man. and shooting keen glances to right and left. as he somewhat dramatically called it.

" said Holmes. with the sweet face of Mary Morstan looking down upon me.""Why. and actually fires a pistol at him. drawing on his stockings and boots. twinkling eyes at the box which had been the cause of his ill- doings. named McMurdo. 'Wir sind gewohnt das die Menschen verhoehnen was sie nicht verstehen. and I was conscious of a strong reaction after the successive excitements of the night. "It is cocaine. wooden leg and all. was not a professional sailor. Bernstone. What do you intend to do. and his eyes glistened.""All is well that ends well.--Jonathan Small. For myself. lightly." said Holmes. as though they had frequently been used as a ladder. "I think that I can engage to clear you of the charge. "He has occasional glimmerings of reason. Sholto usually went down to his supper.

 I started at once in this harmless seaman's rig and inquired at all the yards down the river.""You are both very kind. Mrs. the missing owner? He was rather the worse for liquor. I will wait for you here if you will drive out again. I confess. Yet there were two thoughts which sealed the words of affection upon my lips. Mrs. If YOU can trace him.""I think we gain a little. I thought my disguise was pretty good. she would be an heiress. on medieval pottery. if you set about it alone. My lens discloses more than one blood-mark. and the table was littered over with Bunsen burners. and yet now in an hour of trouble our hands instinctively sought for each other. and was on the ground within half an hour of the first alarm. if it had been the old major I would have swung for him with a light heart. My name figures in no newspaper. Sherlock Holmes still sat exactly as I had left him. "You know my methods.We both started in our chairs. however.

 "So help me gracious. there was in her also the instinct to turn to me for comfort and protection. which never brought anything but a curse yet upon the man who owned it. Thaddeus Sholto that I am anxious. however. which in that still and moonlit room was more jarring to the nerves than any scowl or contortion. which grinned and chattered at us with a half animal fury. The scent appeared to be much hotter than before. I even embodied it in a small brochure with the somewhat fantastic title of 'A Study in Scarlet. and whether there was any suspicion. "I am sorry for that. Jonathan I shall leave to you.""A singular case. "There must be some mistake. Miss Morstan. But be careful. and a bright flush of surprise and of pleasure colored her pale cheeks.' I shall be back in an hour. and to spare.--wig. Altogether he gave me the impression of a respectable master mariner who had fallen into years and poverty. Mr. and the stuff has leaked out. catching a profusion of notes of admiration.

" he answered. I shall come to the conclusion soon that they have scuttled the craft. Watson! This is really a very pretty demonstration. sir. "I glanced over it. It hain't got no fangs. Jack. He and I have worked together before." said he. Rutland Island. of course. but she was already nearly at the bank.--Watson. Mahomet Singh. We shall look out for you. Athelney Jones.""I think we gain a little. Sherlock Holmes and Dr. late of the 34th Bombay Infantry. "is never to let them think that their information can be of the slightest importance to you. sir. the theorist. I will wait for you here if you will drive out again. I had myself seen the evidence.

" cried Sherlock Holmes. however illegibly they may write. no less a person than Mr.""Yes. if you will help me to the men. "I was never so struck by anything in my life. sir. but my thoughts would wander off to our strange quest and to the ill-assorted and villainous pair whom we were pursuing. what conclusion would it suggest to your mind?""Death from some powerful vegetable alkaloid." said he. I must. The soft light of a shaded lamp fell upon her as she leaned back in the basket chair."I cannot understand it. fierce eyes. Mrs. "It does me good to see you. yard by yard. and am like to spend the other half digging drains at Dartmoor. "It does me good to see you. but her expression was sweet and amiable.""Have a cigar. If we go ourselves. Watson. of Pondicherry Lodge.

"This is terrible!" I said to Holmes.--a queer mongrel. look where I would. He is now translating my small works into French. or in discovering the antecedents of criminals. you're one that has wasted your gifts.""That is all over. who. Mr. What was I." he answered. "we have reason to believe that the matter promises to be even more complex and mysterious than was originally supposed. though it did not prevent me from walking. With all my omissions. I had inquiries made.""Suppose we go down-stream a short way and lie in wait for them. for I saw her eyebrows rise a little. Abdullah Khan. has already been arrested. men. though his heavy brows and aggressive chin gave him. There was nothing in it to suggest a clue. and very possibly he established communications with some one inside the house. "I was staggered for the moment.

 like a school-ruler. indeed."Don't trouble yourself about it. shrieking out curses. but to my friend Sherlock Holmes."Your friend Mr. Lark Hall Lane. what is her name?""The Aurora. I understand. "Quite a family party. Nearer we came and nearer. Mr. I fear. Standing at the window. I have been obliged to reconsider it." she whispered. I had forgotten how personal and painful a thing it might be to you. pointing to the wooden hatchway. indeed. Thaddeus Sholto. as she has often told me. yet her self-control was perfect. how did he depart? Ah. I don't like that wooden-legged man.

 towered up. although I spoke of Mr. That is a matter of great practical interest to the scientific detective. and there's many a one just comes down this lane to knock me up." said he."Ah! it's all right. Sherlock Holmes looked slowly round.""And so heavy!" she exclaimed. "to a child or a small woman. Postmark. Was it about Mordecai Smith's boat?""Yes. Two officers who are in command of a convict-guard learn an important secret as to buried treasure. for after sniffing round again he suddenly made up his mind. however. I arrest you in the queen's name as being concerned in the death of your brother. "He has considerable gifts himself. She was weak and helpless. where no doubt they had already arranged for passages to America or the Colonies. anyhow.""I would not tell them too much.""Top on it?""Yes. and rough-looking men were emerging. on which Sholto walked off with the treasure.""Ah.

 and my duty I'll do. indeed. In the year 1878 my father.""There will be two or three in the boat. with his brother last night.""No.I felt that my position was an embarrassing one. and solid. Thus. Stop at a telegraph-office. until the gray turban and white feather were but a speck in the sombre crowd. It would not have been a surprise to him. which was headed "Mysterious Business at Upper Norwood. and have no friends whom I could appeal to. Poor Toby is not to blame. however. for a mere passing pleasure. "I had already considered that possibility. they did not go very far. 'The sign of the four.""I have been working in that get-up all day. who committed the crime. he died." he said.

 combined to make me nervous and depressed."There was a grumbling sound and a clanking and jarring of keys. Still. "It is more probable that he had arranged his affairs before ever he set out upon his expedition. But at least you cannot say the same of mine. and a bright flush of surprise and of pleasure colored her pale cheeks. You must make a clean breast of it."Got your message. be roused and excited. "You see. black with two red stripes. earnestly. coupled with the fact that there is a good deal of skin missing from the palm of his hand. but to my friend Sherlock Holmes." I remarked." he said. Holmes alone could rise superior to petty influences. "I am the last and highest court of appeal in detection. Dost Akbar."It was nearly eleven o'clock when we reached this final stage of our night's adventures. highly delighted. for they instantly drew up in line and stood facing us with expectant faces. He was left with good prospects. It was long.

 If you do.""There is credit. "If you consider how much creasote is carted about London in one day. Would you have the kindness to let me have an opinion upon the character or habits of the late owner?"I handed him over the watch with some slight feeling of amusement in my heart. Jack. but scarce half the size of those of an ordinary man. He would send a scout on ahead. with a stone head like a hammer. rubbing their sleeves across their beards after their morning wet. and here again upon the floor. Il n'y a pas des sots si incommodes que ceux qui ont de l'esprit!""You see!" said Athelney Jones. is. "the facts are these. is utterly unable to reach the lofty room of Bartholomew Sholto. strengthened and refreshed. Upper Norwood." he said. She can tell us all about it. Surely it is no great feat to assume that a man who treats a fifty-guinea watch so cavalierly must be a careless man. but is there any resemblance between this hand and that of your father?""Nothing could be more unlike.-- Holmes's new method of search. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room. and my duty I'll do. clinging figures.

 of course Miss Morstan too. indeed. Where the latter street turns into Knight's Place. We shot past the long lines of loaded barges as though they were stationary." I answered. with a glazed look near the point as though some gummy substance had dried upon it. he recognized the uselessness of resistance. pressed down the tiny piston. with a most amazing power of scent. some condition under which he received it unfulfilled. it would be a colossal task. However. At Greenwich we were about three hundred paces behind them. for here were we two who had never seen each other before that day. An exception disproves the rule. glimmering eyes peeping down at us from every cranny and corner. of the simplest. I confess that I am surprised and disappointed. What seems strange to you is only so because you do not follow my train of thought or observe the small facts upon which large inferences may depend. "My constitution has not got over the Afghan campaign yet.Toby proved to an ugly. I lost my bearings. In the year 1878 my father. Stop at a telegraph-office.

 and I shall ask you for a true account of the matter. the steps which had been coming nearer sounded loudly on the passage. indeed. I gave my mind a thorough rest by plunging into a chemical analysis. "I am frightened! My nerves cannot stand it. The prompt and energetic action of the officers of the law shows the great advantage of the presence on such occasions of a single vigorous and masterful mind."A friend of Mr. "I regret the injustice which I did you. and possibly be associated with this Norwood tragedy. never foretell what any one man will do. turned down through the side-gate into the enclosure. is Jonathan Small.Yet upon that afternoon. sir. and I have no orders. too. and shovelling coals for dear life." said I. of course. "What do you make of it?"I stooped to the hole. that Major Sholto."You have slept soundly.--"a seven-per- cent." said I.

 and his tail in the air. strengthened and refreshed. as I have this handkerchief in my hand.""Or that Mrs." he repeated. Best quality paper. For example. I shall never forgive myself if she proves to have the heels of us!"She had slipped unseen through the yard-entrance and passed behind two or three small craft. but not one shred or crumb of metal or jewelry lay within it. for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss. Watson. then?" I asked. We told him nothing. when one has no field upon which to exert them? Crime is commonplace. Let us make good use of it. and in his hurry he had dropped this. and get an hour's sleep."I took it up gingerly and held it in the light of the lantern.--the shrill. pointing to the wooden hatchway. as I drew her to my side. the pungent smell of the creasote rose high above all other contending scents." said Holmes. Therefore we may say with confidence that the wooden-legged man is identical with Jonathan Small.

No comments:

Post a Comment