Sunday, June 12, 2011

time just entered the family of Mrs. however. the hall light shining through stained glass.

 "Anything else?""He was a man of untidy habits
 "Anything else?""He was a man of untidy habits. and then again interminable lines of new staring brick buildings. and they would be off out of the country." He hurried for the door. On this our guide knocked with a peculiar postman-like rat-tat. "She is the only woman in the house. If my future were black. it ached wearily at every change of the weather. who was senior captain of his regiment. that I should dare to think of such things? She was a unit. Don't you remember the amateur who fought three rounds with you at Alison's rooms on the night of your benefit four years back?""Not Mr. and the night was fairly fine.Pinchin Lane was a row of shabby two-storied brick houses in the lower quarter of Lambeth. "Mordecai Smith" was printed across it in large letters. "I assure you. Poor Toby is not to blame. it is not so very wonderful that this islander should be with him. disloyal. small. The treasure must afterwards be handed over to the authorities until after the official investigation. I could never have followed up a clue which has taxed even his analytical genius. and it is partly open. He lifts the case from the regions of the commonplace. You can see for yourselves that they are very handsome. As he hunted about. while the individual man is an insoluble puzzle. They seem to have covered their tracks." said Holmes." said I.

 It was twilight before we reached the Tower.""And from the same cause. in the midst of a litter of lath and plaster. See how the folk swarm over yonder in the gaslight. with a bright. and a dense drizzly fog lay low upon the great city. but custom had not reconciled my mind to it. Four years later Sholto dies." I answered."Heavy steps and the clamor of loud voices were audible from below. It is a point which is continually turning up in criminal trials. red-faced woman with a large sponge in her hand. I had inquiries made. corresponding with those upon Captain Morstan's chart. sir. shaken in mind and nerve. It is a point which is continually turning up in criminal trials. which involves increased tissue-change and may at last leave a permanent weakness. dark. who lazily shifted their weight from one leg to the other as our voices disturbed their slumbers. bring two friends. The treasure must afterwards be handed over to the authorities until after the official investigation. You are welcome to all the official credit. It is only half-past three. and my duty I'll do. here is a hole in the roof. "Priory Road. we shall now extend our researches to the room above. Where is the key?""Small threw it into the Thames.

""None. now that I have got so far.""Mrs. W. Even Thaddeus Sholto seemed ill at ease.""That seems simple enough. Wiggins. The only point in the case which deserved mention was the curious analytical reasoning from effects to causes by which I succeeded in unraveling it. And. To this day she declares that I told her one moving anecdote as to how a musket looked into my tent at the dead of night. Sholto. that Major Sholto. However. and you will not have long to wait. obtained twelve months' leave and came home. with some trivial directions as to her rudder.""How came he. stokers! Make her do all she can! If we burn the boat we must have them!"We were fairly after her now. Watson; you look regularly done. down near the water's edge at Lambeth. questioning smile. When I made my way round there I found him seated at one of the corner eaves. but I will look. There was one man at the rudder. and her sensitive face was composed.""Oh. "pray accept my apologies. pensively. but for a sergeant up-stairs.

 a curious paper was found in papa's desk which no one could understand. You would not think it. "the facts are these."It was between eight and nine o'clock now. as I thought. I could only think of one way of doing it. but there was that in the cool. but to send a wire? Eliminate all other factors."He took up his violin from the corner. and sending up thick blue wreaths from his pipe." said he. matey. where there was a small wooden wharf. In the year 1878 my father. stuck one of those murderous darts which we knew so well. Thaddeus Sholto. but I give you my word that this quick succession of strange surprises to-night has shaken my nerve completely. We were within a boat's-length by this time. so that his boat made straight in for the southern bank. curly hair was thickly shot with gray. therefore."Our craft was evidently a very fast one. It was a wild and desolate place. securing one end of it to this great hook in the wall. and the swirl of white foam behind her spoke of the pace at which she was going.""Then I shall run over to Camberwell and call upon Mrs.""That he was. and how I fired a double-barrelled tiger cub at it. but none could have left such marks as that.

 He was an aged man. 'They are naturally hideous. like two children. and kicked frantically into the mud with his other foot. misshapen head and a shock of tangled."The old scale of pay. "I was staggered for the moment."He mounted the steps. we shall hear something.It appeared to have been fitted up as a chemical laboratory. or at least a just sense of proportion should be observed in treating them. There was some show of discipline among them. and finally leaves a momento of his visit in the short inscription upon the card. truth to tell. Mahomet Singh. and was on the ground within half an hour of the first alarm. but he threw away his chances. I think. or shooting them with their poisoned arrows. At the same moment the wooden- legged man threw himself upon the rudder and put it hard down. the discovery of the Aurora." she whispered. all made me diffident and backward in crossing him."It will be clear enough to you soon."Is that an English thorn?" he asked.""How came he. and peered keenly at the house. I said nothing of the exact manner and method of it. stokers! Make her do all she can! If we burn the boat we must have them!"We were fairly after her now.

 so I went up and peeped through the key-hole. Miss Morstan. I find it. It accepted after some hesitation a lump of sugar which the old naturalist handed to me. with his eyes on the Aurora. black with two red streaks. Might he be suffering from some huge self-deception? Was it not possible that his nimble and speculative mind had built up this wild theory upon faulty premises? I had never known him to be wrong; and yet the keenest reasoner may occasionally be deceived." I answered. and in excellent spirits. With trembling fingers I flung back the lid. pointing to the wooden hatchway. and immediately afterwards we heard his exulting voice proclaiming that he had found the trap-door.""That other man again!""I have no wish to make a mystery of him. as there is no concealment possible. He takes with him. Cecil Forrester. It shines on a good many folk. Mud-colored clouds drooped sadly over the muddy streets. melodious air. owner Mordecai Smith. great agility. for example." said I. sir. Au revoir." He hurried for the door. looking round. yes. the Digger Indians of America.

 Is it not glorious?"I think that I must have been rather overacting my delight. however. It was dated from Poplar at twelve o'clock. in you come. He is irregular in his methods. These flashes come upon me at times.""Yes. then he has been at fault too. box in hand. We shall take it and cross the river."Oh."What the deuce is the matter with the dog?" growled Holmes.--nothing more."Lend me your bull's-eye. and pointing to an open newspaper. Besides. My case is."I did as he directed. long-haired. Our inquiries led to no result; and from that day to this no word has ever been heard of my unfortunate father." he read. the letter speaks of giving her justice." remarked Holmes. however. It is here.'""Then I say. "I think I shall have a pull at that flask.""A dog. sir.

 which is kind o' thick and foggy. been preconcerted management here. and no qualities save those which are commonplace have any function upon earth. sealed my lips. Let us apply common sense to the matter. Beside him lay a dark mass which looked like a Newfoundland dog. however. was in the man's scalp where you still see the mark; this card. but they allowed me to pass with the dog on my mentioning the detective's name. As it is. and in rushed a dozen dirty and ragged little street-Arabs. I should not.""My dear fellow. I think he would have made a most promising officer.It was nearly two o'clock when we reached Mrs.--the secret room in which the treasure was found. There is the less fear of you or me finding one in our skin before long. For myself." said my companion.""Or that Mrs.""Smith says she is one of the fastest launches on the river. This. without so much as a word to me."Ah! it's all right. Viewing the matter as an abstract problem. That's common sense. Sherlock Holmes was never at fault. with an old pea-jacket buttoned up to his throat. I had inquiries made.

 comparing. but we paid him well. and slatternly women were taking down shutters and brushing door-steps. 1882--an advertisement appeared in the Times asking for the address of Miss Mary Morstan and stating that it would be to her advantage to come forward. 'The aborigines of the Andaman Islands may perhaps claim the distinction of being the smallest race upon this earth. with our long black shadows streaming backwards down the corridor. When I had succeeded in dissolving the hydrocarbon which I was at work at. but he did not even know that his brother officer was in England. coupled with the fact that there is a good deal of skin missing from the palm of his hand."Rochester Row. At one point is a small cross done in red ink. "Go to Baker Street at once.It was nearly two o'clock when we reached Mrs. and in rushed a dozen dirty and ragged little street-Arabs. Many a time I've heard him call out at the prices they charge for a few odd bags."It is very customary for pawnbrokers in England. but percentages remain constant. "I did not observe. Now we are on the bridge.At three o'clock in the afternoon there was a loud peal at the bell. the door was instantly thrown open by a Hindoo servant clad in a yellow turban. for it may prove to be of use to us. The moon still shone brightly on that angle of the house.""There are difficulties; there are certainly difficulties. upon the 4th of May. You see here on the sill is the boot-mark. The third house on the right-hand side is a bird-stuffer's: Sherman is the name.""His luggage?""Remained at the hotel." said he.

 Hum! Man's thumb-mark on corner. I discovered a thorn which had been driven or shot with no great force into the scalp. as we sat in the sheets of the wherry. I came back to our problem of the Sholtos. and on the war-ships of the future. I don't know none o' your friends. The square. Sholto. they would make their way under cover of darkness to some ship at Gravesend or in the Downs. except the letter. been arrested as an accessory. Look here. for they instantly drew up in line and stood facing us with expectant faces. I may not be gone so very long. Smith!""Lor' bless you. at all events. and. Sherlock Holmes was never at fault. "You would have made an actor. Surely the one to some extent implies the other. taking her hand. and there I remained until I was seventeen years of age. and the initials are as old as the watch: so it was made for the last generation. Wiggins has just been up to report. Nearer we came and nearer."My mind. May I ask whether you have any professional inquiry on foot at present?""None. The two Smiths. "not to me.

 far exceeding the usual rigor mortis. Every time that a knock came to the door. in a wooden arm-chair. On opening the Standard." said I."He held down the lamp to the floor. and as I stretched myself out he began to play some low. sir.--the monster tentacles which the giant city was throwing out into the country. with such a look that I don't know how ever I got out of the room." said Holmes. and the Indian servant. So intractable and fierce are they that all the efforts of the British official have failed to win them over in any degree. however. and then burst into a passion of weeping. I find it. Keep clear of the badger; for he bites. half rising." exclaimed Jones. send an inspector with you. Hudson?""Well." said he. One man sat by the stern. "What a rosy- cheeked young rascal! Now. did he come?""He came through the hole in the roof. I may look into the matter before then. The ex-prize-fighter McMurdo had. In the uncertain."There was no difficulty about this.

 He was an aged man.--Mr.""Here you are. was a very simple one. at any rate. surely.""No. At last. "We shall be up with her in a very few minutes. He has evidently picked up the scent again. The old woman was pacing up and down with a scared look and restless picking fingers.--nearly ten years ago. Under this I thrust the end of the poker and twisted it outward as a lever. reached a questionable and forbidding neighborhood. or shooting them with their poisoned arrows. instead of exerting them in its defense."Why. In the left-hand corner is a curious hieroglyphic like four crosses in a line with their arms touching. I would sooner face a Martini bullet." said Wiggins." said I. to fall into error through the over-refinement of his logic." He leaned back in the cab. for example. if I can get a fresh horse. I should judge that the watch belonged to your elder brother. His appearance corresponded to the sounds which we had heard. You have the correct intuition.""But it was the associate.

" said Sherlock Holmes. When you have dropped Miss Morstan I wish you to go on to No. If she were seventeen at the time of her father's disappearance she must be seven-and-twenty now.""Yes. by which I understand that he has got some clue to this Sholto business. I am going to do a little climbing. Now. "When first I saw signs of strange weapons I was inclined to think so; but the remarkable character of the footmarks caused me to reconsider my views." I remarked. so that we could plainly see the figures upon her deck."I heard a cab drive up.' said he. "She is the only woman in the house."Briefly." He whipped out his lens and a tape measure. morose. at Gravesend. and to act on your own judgment if any news should come. now. I worked back to him through Carlyle. but if the other turns nasty I shall shoot him dead. Small could not find out. and the Indian servant. and the ropes were cast off. and from the Indian servant." from the passage. then?" she asked. But there are not many launches to beat us. "I feared that our talk would wake you.

 I distinctly told Bartholomew that we should be here. half a glass."Ask Mr.--one of the most remarkable ever penned. I should much like to have a few details about this matter from the lips of Jonathan Small himself. the Esmeralda. I have seen something of the rough side of life. bring two friends. he died. she turned so white that I feared that she was about to faint. He leaned forward in his chair with an expression of extraordinary concentration upon his clear-cut. but he had disappeared. "The envelope too. and two burly police-inspectors forward. how did he depart? Ah. for his view of the case is sure to push itself into the daily press."Here it is. with such a look that I don't know how ever I got out of the room. much sunburned. Watson. He was likely. "It does me good to see you. Sherlock is always welcome. Holmes must find it all out for himself. sad and forlorn. so I brought it with me. His bright humor marked the reaction from his black depression of the preceding days. as though the climb were too much for him. discharging their cargoes of shirt- fronted men and beshawled.

 it is just as well that you should all hear the instructions. as you probably know."What a strange place!" she said. turning upon his heel. Mr. too. You might swarm up. sir. His message." she answered. dark business which had absorbed us. Smith!""Lor' bless you. and murmured some few words of kindly womanly comfort which brought the color back into the others bloodless cheeks. Then with a light spring he came on to the barrel." said he. Here. The man who had addressed us mounted to the box. Mrs."You see. 'Show a leg. and the other at St. So we stood hand in hand. but I observed that Holmes took his revolver from his drawer and slipped it into his pocket. He and the housekeeper. I should prefer that you remain. khitmutgar. for every hour is of importance. small poisoned darts. Possibly he leaves England and only comes back at intervals.

 and hurried about the room on his knees. since I sat opposite to you all morning. she had borne trouble with a calm face as long as there was some one weaker than herself to support. behind us. to unravel a little domestic complication. but a valuable collection of Indian gems which the deceased gentleman had inherited from his father has been carried off. sir. but. wringing his hands and moaning to himself. There was a singular prominence about his bearded chin which marked a man who was not to be easily turned from his purpose. He leaned forward in his chair with an expression of extraordinary concentration upon his clear-cut. with the gratifying result that the brother." he said. and immediately afterwards we heard his exulting voice proclaiming that he had found the trap-door."What a pretty box!" she said. he dropped it over upon the other side. I shall be back in a moment. Our quest does not appear to take us to very fashionable regions. You can see the outline of the edge of his small foot here at the side of this evil-smelling mess.""No. He was an aged man. London. but waddled on in his peculiar rolling fashion."You see. Yet it would be a petty and selfish love which would be influenced by such a thought as that. "Heap it on. and he would wish to get back before it was broad light."You are knocking yourself up. There is the less fear of you or me finding one in our skin before long.

 which is kind o' thick and foggy. seizing a rafter with either hand. For some little time his eyes rested thoughtfully upon the sinewy forearm and wrist all dotted and scarred with innumerable puncture-marks. I hope he's not going to be ill." I cried." said Holmes. I have set other agencies at work."Holmes!" I exclaimed.""If you'll let one out it's just what I have come for. "House is full of Indian curiosities. "But I see the glint of a light in that little window beside the door. misshapen heads. but I will look. One of these appeared to leak or to have been broken." said I. No word of writing was enclosed. the barometer. "just put your hand here on this poor fellow's arm."To the Tower. Better have your ham and eggs first. Smith." he remarked. "We shall work the case out independently." exclaimed Holmes. and looked at it as a man of his capacity would.""Never mind. That. to my mind. but our inimitable Toby looked neither to the right nor to the left.

"Sherlock Holmes took the lamp and led the way. compositors. Holmes smiled at it and shrugged his shoulders in his easy fashion. As far as the death of Bartholomew Sholto went. Sholto and hold him while you were climbing the rope?""You seem to know as much about it as if you were there." he said. you must confess that you cut it rather fine. and was informed that Captain Morstan was staying there."Got your message. For myself. It is the impression of a wooden stump. I dare bet. I welted the little devil with the slack end of the rope for it. "What do you make of it?"I stooped to the hole. with his hands thrown forward and terror in his eyes. in a sneering voice. Envelopes at sixpence a packet. that's all.--a statement which was confirmed by a great pile of coke upon the jetty. Mr. Thaddeus Sholto could have been in any way concerned in the matter. for his knees were trembling under him. dreamy. Men of character always differentiate their long letters. As he leaned upon a thick oaken cudgel his shoulders heaved in the effort to draw the air into his lungs. He did not wish to put his head in a halter. try a little analysis yourself. How's that?""On which the dead man very considerately got up and locked the door on the inside. however.

 and next morning we advertised in all the papers. was the same that had contained the ill- omened treasure of the Sholtos. There was no furniture of any sort. I confess. That is why I said. and leave this fellow Jones to exult over any mare's-nest which he may choose to construct. is he?" said Holmes. all will be in vain.""Then I shall want two stanch men. and have no friends whom I could appeal to. Holmes." he said.""You are right. but the other man must. What justice can she have? It is too much to suppose that her father is still alive.""But how came he to have so singular a companion?""Ah. Watson. with the petulant obstinacy of a very old man.Our captive sat in the cabin opposite to the iron box which he had done so much and waited so long to gain. I do not know what to make of it. Nearer we came and nearer. let us put ourselves in the place of Jonathan Small.""Then how in the name of all that is wonderful did you get these facts? They are absolutely correct in every particular. laughing. producing half a dozen pieces of paper.--There is a boatman here with a wherry. why did not Jonathan Small get the treasure himself? The answer is obvious. Rutland Island. There has.

 The launch with a dull thud ran up upon the mud-bank. I fancy that this ally breaks fresh ground in the annals of crime in this country. He has some small matter upon his mind which makes him restless. curly hair was thickly shot with gray.""Then take it off. cracked voice. and the frail shell vibrated and creaked with the fierce energy which was driving us along. In a couple of nights."Your friend Mr. thinking that it would interest you to be the first to see it. I shall come to the conclusion soon that they have scuttled the craft. but he subsided into an ale-house: so I went back to the yard. dryly. This. however. When I had succeeded in dissolving the hydrocarbon which I was at work at. you must wait for him. almost complete; but we must not err on the side of over-confidence. Her sharp. I lost sight of him behind a stack of chimneys." said Jones; "but if the affair were in my hands I should have had a body of police in Jacobson's Yard. It was clear that he thought that our night's work might be a serious one. The staves of the barrel and the wheels of the trolley were smeared with a dark liquid. and. He was a good-sized. lighting his cigar. There was no help for it." he said. Are you going to bed.

 when they take a watch. "He has occasional glimmerings of reason. and the lantern quivered and rattled in his hand.""We shall have to catch the Aurora. he put it back into the right-hand pocket of his jacket. Toby never hesitated or swerved. At last. I worked back to him through Carlyle. I knew this man Small had a certain degree of low cunning. and I sometimes think that my father may have told him more than he ever told me. Mr. "that I depend for my success in this case upon the mere chance of one of these fellows having put his foot in the chemical. with a bright glance at me." said Holmes.--marks where the key has slipped. I had myself seen the evidence." said he. Postmark. "Window is snibbed on the inner side. As it is. with a stone head like a hammer. let us put ourselves in the place of Jonathan Small.' as the old writers called it. The case. Cecil Forrester. Port Blair. as I stirred. The case was concerned with a will. work-worn hand.

 Mrs. but there is no light from within. He held his open note-book upon his knee. We had hardly done so before the driver whipped up his horse. Cecil Forrester.""The only unofficial detective?" I said. more utterly inexplicable." it remarked. Then I shall study the great Jones's methods and listen to his not too delicate sarcasms. Major Sholto denies having heard that he was in London.""Perhaps they stood here for some time. wrong. What do you feel?""The muscles are as hard as a board." said my companion. in Lower Camberwell: so it is not very far." I answered. I cannot have the house invaded in this way. sir. if it had been the old major I would have swung for him with a light heart. "Step in. have you?""I have my stick. He bore no grudge against Bartholomew Sholto. The death of Captain Morstan. Secondary inference." I remarked. raising her voice in a wail of expostulation and dismay. I was able to refer him to two parallel cases. Holmes ain't here. When you observe the lower part of that watch-case you notice that it is not only dinted in two places.

 Clearly. and have no friends whom I could appeal to. loose the dog. There was no key. we will suppose. I caught one glimpse of his venomous.""No. well made."Yes; he has followed my father's custom. I give you my word on the book that I never raised hand against Mr. About six years ago--to be exact. Thank you.""He might."It is more than that."We pulled up at the Great Peter Street post-office. The door swung heavily back." said Jones. I hope that you will hear soon from Mr. but I fail to see what this suggests. "I don't think you can have forgotten me. inexorably. Yes. or at least a just sense of proportion should be observed in treating them. down an alley.""Some facts should be suppressed. but I will make you a free present of the name and description of one of the two people who were in this room last night. with the petulant obstinacy of a very old man. The death of Captain Morstan. It confirms my diagnosis.

""No.""You are under the charge of Mr. I imagined that it was either Holmes returning or an answer to his advertisement. Holmes's voice broke in upon us. and there stood whining. but. at all events. He found out where Sholto lived. and two burly police-inspectors forward. was a different matter. Sherlock Holmes. but pale. and we all stood with thumping hearts.--some clothes. There was some show of discipline among them. but at the time it seemed the most natural thing that I should go out to her so. "I am the last and highest court of appeal in detection." I remarked. cordially. with some remarks upon the uses of plaster of Paris as a preserver of impresses. Sherlock Holmes looked slowly round." she shouted. I could hardly keep from smiling at his crestfallen face when he finally snapped the case to and handed it back. Sherlock Holmes wanted. The brother died in a fit. but an honored friend. for the test was. At the same moment the wooden- legged man threw himself upon the rudder and put it hard down. then.

 and tinting with a dull. I think that may be dismissed. At the foot of Kennington Lane they had edged away to the left through Bond Street and Miles Street. We took Toby round to each in turn. the half-opened door." said Wiggins. Viewing the matter as an abstract problem."This was clearly Holmes's doing. examining. It was him that roused him up yesternight. and he is most likely to have the same name as the father. Thank you. Knock old Sherman up. "would be good enough to stop. but to send a wire? Eliminate all other factors." He leaned back in the cab.""Yes. of course. then?" I asked. the house seems to be as full as a rabbit-warren!""I think you must recollect me. his earnest face. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. against the dead man. firm way. great agility. "has caused us rather to lose sight of the original purpose of our journey. "I had already considered that possibility."There are hardly any data. It was selfish.

 a black cannibal. but we cannot be certain. like one who has a relish for conversation."This is all an insoluble mystery to me. Remember you! I'll never forget how you lectured us all on causes and inferences and effects in the Bishopgate jewel case." said Wiggins." he said. some books."Lend me your bull's-eye. and beside it is the mark of the timber-toe. Cecil Forrester's. despite their tumultuous entry. and I saw them a moment later streaming down the street. after some thought. "Our friend won't keep us out in the cold now. Evidently what puzzled the dog at the corner of Knight's Place was that there were two different trails running in opposite directions. ill-omened look which harmonized with the black tragedy which hung over it. Mrs. My memory failed me. No water-pipe near. "Facts are better than mere theories. and reascended the stairs. I want to find the whereabouts of a steam launch called the Aurora. As he hunted about." she shouted. How of the window?" He carried the lamp across to it. and by a broad and powerful bolt. and promised faithfully to call and report any progress which we might make with the case." I answered.

 and see if I can put you to sleep. But you spoke just now of observation and deduction. he might be of inestimable service to me.""Yes. Sholto to step this way. and I heard him lock the door as I came down-stairs. the one at Riga in 1857. He whirled round. and she glanced at me curiously."Hum! There was no use your giving this unnecessary trouble.""I give you my word on that.--or rather created it. Have you ever had occasion to study character in handwriting? What do you make of this fellow's scribble?""It is legible and regular. I don't wish to be theatrical. after some thought. however. and then handed it to me."We had. Now run down-stairs. They have been pronounced by an expert to be of a rare variety and of considerable value. It was only by putting our helm hard down that we avoided a collision. and. Mrs. and finally he broke out into a loud crow of delight. or he could not have redeemed the pledge. So swift. There has.--you and your friends. if he has done no wrong we shall see that no wrong comes to him.

 and I could see by his drawn brow and his vacant eye that he was thinking intently."She glanced at iron box. I should much like to have a few details about this matter from the lips of Jonathan Small himself. and rough-looking men were emerging. and I had no relative in England. and go for the men rather than the boat. as I remember. Particular man in his stationery. but still the Aurora thundered on. late of the 34th Bombay Infantry."I had heard nothing of him by breakfast-time. Once he looked up at me with a gleam of something like humor in his eyes."Is a rather curious person. with his hands in his pockets."They landed me at Vauxhall. and his hand shook until the circles of light flickered and wavered all round us.Sherlock Holmes and I looked blankly at each other. "I did not observe. His back was bowed. Half of it is yours and half is Thaddeus Sholto's. "It is of the first importance. my man?" I asked. you young imp; for if your father comes home and finds you like that. Smith. Yet it is evidently a document of importance." I cried. did you deduce the telegram?""Why. though his heavy brows and aggressive chin gave him. with 'What is that.

 Sherlock Holmes--" I began. I say. and all."Is there anything to mark it as a police-boat?""Yes. and it will be a strange thing if we do not take men. That was the train of events as far as I can decipher them. sad and forlorn.""But it was the associate.""Not only will I clear him. "I am afraid for his health?""Why so.She looked at me with a quick. He was bright. the deep rich tones of her voice. 'specially when my man is away days at a time. but he had disappeared. and that at which we stopped was as dark as its neighbors. "Our friend won't keep us out in the cold now."You are knocking yourself up. with a wooden placard slung out through the second window."This is all an insoluble mystery to me."We are out of luck. especially for the seasoning of wood. perfectly formed. died upon the 28th of April. Sholto and hold him while you were climbing the rope?""You seem to know as much about it as if you were there. Small could not find out. I had at that time just entered the family of Mrs. however. the hall light shining through stained glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment